Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake

I have discovered something very important about myself this summer. I have an "addictive personality". That is to say, I get addicted to every thing I love and all of the sudden, I can't get enough of it. This discovery probably deems it necessary to lock me in a virtuous room with nothing but a bible and carrot sticks for the rest of my life. BUT I found a loophole.
Participating in the Appalachian Service Project for a week every year always helps clean my conscience.
In fact, by the time I returned, all my sins of Spain were forgotten and I was ready to take on a new addiction.
Read: Lemon Blueberry Pound cake. A moist, delicious lemon-flavored cake with a heaping cup (or two!) of blueberries mixed in the batter. All topped with a lemony cream cheese frosting-glaze. Probably the guiltiest addiction I've developed, if only because I singlehandedly ate half the cake. Okay, so it's definitely not the only new addiction I've acquired, or my favorite, but it certainly is the most dangerous.
If you have the same dangerous personality type as me, you'll bring this beautiful bundt to a family barbecue or a picnic on the beach. Or you could just shamelessly embrace your addictions and dig in with a friend and a fork (I chose this one!).
As long as your addictions don't surpass those of Tiger Woods', who had to get carted off to "keep it in your pants" camp, you can still keep it classy.
So please go make this cake. You'll thank me later. Read: As soon as you get a lick of that frosting.



Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake

Ingredients:
For Cake:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 plus 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
3/4 Teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used nonfat, but some people prefer full fat)
2 cups blueberries
For blueberries: 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of lemon juice (or juice form about 2 lemons)

For Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze:
3 ounces of softened cream cheese (no skimping on the fat)
1 Tablespoon Butter, softened as well
2 cups confectionary sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/8-1/4 Cup lemon juice (add more until glaze reaches desired consistency, I eyeballed this)

Make the cake

1. Grease one medium sized bundt pan. Make sure to get the grease all up in the ridges. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together 1 1/4 cups flour and the baking powder and salt.

3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl every so often.

4.Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each addition.
5. Beat in the extracts and lemon juice. Reduce to medium speed and add the flour mixture alternatively with the yogurt, starting and ending with the flour. Beat until everything is completely incorporated.
6. In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with a tablespoon of flour and the almond extract. Gently fold the blueberries in the batter, making sure they are evenly distributed throughout.

7. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out completely clean. keep your eyes on the cake, not the time!!! Cool in pan for 20 minutes or so before dumping the cake onto a plate.
8. Pour frosting evenly over your beautiful cake.

Frosting:
1. Beat together the cream cheese and butter.
2. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar and lemon juice, alternating between the two until frosting reaches desired consistency.
3. Stir in the extracts.
4. Pour over your cake!!!

0 comments: