Thursday, April 29, 2010

Black and White Cookies!

So, when I get nervous, I start freaking out. When I freak out I bake. It's an involuntary reaction, much like randomly screaming i love you when James is being exceptionally nice. Anyways, back to the baking. My best friend Sonja has had a really bad couple of weeks, and nothing says I love you more than a fresh batch of black and white cookies. I even got Cuddles to try one (although, he shoved it in his mouth before he could actually taste it). These cookies are amazing. Half chocolate, half sweet vanilla, they are like a tasty juxtaposition. They're proof that you can have it all.



These cookies are slightly dangerous to make, though. Let's just say a two hour workout was required after I finished all of the vanilla glaze. Thankfully, I found a way to step up my workouts in addition to making them much more fun. In fact, I plan to incorporate an additional hour into my regular routine.
Just more proof of these cookies magical powers.
So, go make them. Now.



See how absolutely tempting they are? Sonja and I couldn't wait to cram them into our mouths


Black and White Cookies:
adapted from Joy the Baker

Ingredients:
2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (I used sweet vanilla extract that my mommy brought back from mexico!)
3/4 cups butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs

Make the cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

1. Whisk together flour, salt and Baking powder
2. Cream Butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about four minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg to make sure they are evenly incorporated.
3. Beat in flour mixture on medium speed until evenly distributed. Mix in vanilla extract. Take a taste of dough. It's so worth it.
4. Roll cookie dough into 2-2 1/2 inch diameter balls and place them 2 inches apart on a buttered cookie sheet.
5. Bake cookies in the middle of the oven for 14-16 minutes, until cookies are puffed and firm. Transfer to cookie rack when they're done until they're completely cool.
6. TIME TO GLAZEEE!

Glaze Ingredients:

Chocolate Glaze:
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
Four tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
3 Tablespoons Hot milk
around 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar (I eyeballed this and have no concept of mind-measuring!)

Vanilla Glaze:
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Light corn syrup
1 cup Powdered sugar
Milk until glaze reaches desired consistency

1. Melt semi-sweet chocolate in microwave for around 1 minute.
2. Melt butter in separate bowl and mix in with chocolate. Mix in corn syrup
3. heat up milk in microwave until it's hot but not boiling. Mix into glaze mixture and stir in powdered sugar. There's your chocolate glaze!

1. Put 1 cup of powdered sugar in clean bowl.
2. Mix in corn syrup and vanilla extract
3. Stir in milk until it reaches desired consistency.
Vanilla glaze is like heaven on earth. Eat any leftovers.

GLAZE COOKIES AND EAT (okay, put in the refrigerator until glaze sets, thennn eat)
Lumi.

0 comments: