Monday, May 3, 2010

Chocolate Chunk Cookies (they're healthy! -ish)

This weekend was the most confusing weekend ever. I also have never learned so much about myself in such a short period of time. I realized how much I've grown up since last summer, and I handle every situation differently now than I would have a couple months ago. For example, in the summer, if I started to fall in love I would have closed my eyes and ran the other way. Now however, I'm forcing myself to sprint forward into the blinding light without thinking about the next move. Because that's really the only way to address something so extraordinary and damn frustrating.
Well, obviously, this new approach on life caused me to want to bake something sweet with a new approach: It's healthy! Well... it's made of whole wheat flower (that's healthy right? it's healthy in my boat.)
Okay, to be fair, they're whole wheat because I ran out of white flour.
Now, get ready for healthy chocolate chunk cookies that will knock your socks off!

Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Adapted from: Hershey's

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup All purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup of butter, softened (i use salted, it's way yummier)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (the reason i went so crazy on this is because it's from mexico. So that obviously makes it magical and there can never be too much)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (because everything is better with nuts)
12 ounces of chopped dark chocolate (make sure you love eating it out of your hand, that can make or break a chocolate chip cookie. I used dark chocolate Hershey's bars because that was all my ghetto corner store had)

MAKE THE COOKIES!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Makes around 28 cookies.
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt
2. In a separate large mixing bowl, cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, around three minutes.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure each one is fully beat in before proceeding. Add the vanilla and almond extracts into the butter mixture.
4. Gradually and slowly beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated into the butter mixture. There's your dough!
5. Now, the best part. Take a taste. or two. or five.
6. Now, chop up your chocolate into rough, uneven pieces. Mix them into your cookie dough. Make sure they are evenly distributed throughout the dough! otherwise you will not have consistent yummy cookies!
7. Roll two-inch diameter balls from the dough and place them on a buttered cookie sheet, about two inches apart. Place the cookies in the oven for about 10 minutes give or take a few. The cookies are done when the dough is thoroughly cooked, but still gooey and soft.
8. Let hot cookies cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool. Enjoy!

0 comments: